A 65-page in-depth research paper from Parrot Analytics takes a comprehensive look at SVOD platforms and audience demand trends for Australia.
The research includes:
• The increase in investment made by OTT platforms.
• The growth in digital original titles and SVOD subscribers.
• How new TV shows are discovered by consumers in Australia and how audience engagement drives demand for Digital Original series, broken down by age and gender.
• The top 20 digital streaming shows in Australia across all SVOD platforms.
• Australian audience preferences for specific genres and how these have changed over the course of 2017.
• Market share of the major OTT platforms Netflix, Amazon Video and Hulu in Australia.
The research found that most consumers discover offline TV shows by word of mouth. But don’t worry, advertising works – it ranked #2 in methods of discovery. TV listings were #3.
When it comes to discovering online content, word of mouth (which included social media) also ranks #1, while editorial coverage of a program ranked #2.
The research also listed the top 20 most in-demand original TV series last year with 13 Reasons Why a clear leader. The top nine shows on the chart belong to Netflix and 16 of the top 20 shows are from Netflix. Stan didn’t have an entry in the top 20. Stan’s highest entry for an Australian original was Wolf Creek at #42.
Photo: 13 Reasons Why (Beth Dubber/Netflix)