Radio trade season hots up: SCA pulls the pin on Triple M’s Eddie and Luke

hot breakfast eddie wil luke

Is Marty Sheargold part of the team for the new Melbourne breakfast show?

The culling season has started a little later than normal during a Covid-impacted 2020. It’s around surveys six and seven each year when broadcasters review their teams and move around the players in the hope of improving performance in the next year.

SCA has a number of challenges in Australia’s biggest radio markets with lukewarm ratings at its four Hit Network and Triple M stations.

The broadcaster has decided that it is time for a new breakfast show at the highest-rating of those four stations – Triple M Melbourne. In a statement this morning SCA revealed The Hot Breakfast, hosted by Eddie McGuire and Luke Darcy, will finish up on Friday 27 November after 11 years on air.

An announcement regarding what’s next for Triple M Melbourne’s breakfast show will be made soon.

There is plenty of speculation about who will be part of the new show. Former Nova drive and Triple M breakfast and drive co-host Marty Sheargold is on the list of prospective new employees. SCA chief executive Grant Blackley confirmed to Mediaweek earlier this year that is programming team had been speaking with Sheargold.

However the talented performer is thought to be too expensive for the broadcaster as it looks to cut costs in a market where top talent salaries have gone off the chart.

The Hot Breakfast 2015 team: Luke Darcy, Eddie McGuire and Mick Molloy

Other candidates could be Mick Molloy and Jane Kennedy moving from drive to breakfast, something that would effectively kill a national drive show though. Triple M could network former Melbourne resident Lawrence Mooney, but that would be a very brave programming move. Other duos on the SCA books are Hit Network nights’ Tom and Olly, podcasters Matt and Alex, and a handful of talented regional broadcasters, some recently departed, that could be part of the build of a new show.

Highlights of The Hot Breakfast over the years have included annual AFL Grand Final eve soirées, trips to the US Superbowl, the London and Rio Olympic games, Hawaii and the show had the honour of being invited by the Australian Government to be the commercial broadcast partner of the Centenary of the landing of the ANZACs at Gallipoli.

Eddie McGuire said in a statement: “I joined Triple M 32 years ago as a young journo and this year has been a year like no other for all of us. We found ourselves able to broadcast six hours a day and on weekends when Covid-19 hit. Whilst gruelling, it has also been a true honour and pleasure for us to be with Melbourne every step of the way and the most important year in our show’s history. Without listeners radio is nothing and we have enjoyed the immediate connection with them day in day out and dominated our key target demos.

“Those closest to me have always known that I continued with breakfast radio while my boys were at school and now my youngest has finished it’s time too for me to finish up a wonderful 11 year run with a 4.00am alarm. I plan to take some time to reflect and recharge with my family and after a good, long break have a look at what the next project for Triple M looks like in 2021, building on new ground we forged back in 2009.”

Luke Darcy added: “The last 11 years has been the most enjoyable experience you could imagine. Sitting next to the man in the suit, Triple M royalty Rosie Walton and comedy giants Mick Molloy and Wil Anderson every morning has been the greatest gift. No media connects as intimately and as immediately to the public as live radio does and it has been a joy to speak to the people of Melbourne every day and be part of their lives. The Hot Breakfast has taken us to two Olympic games, four Superbowls, The World Cup Soccer in Brazil and a life changing dawn service at ANZAC Cove in Gallipoli. It has been epic.”

SCA chief content officer Dave Cameron said: “I’d like to sincerely thank Eddie and Darce for what has been a wonderful 11 years in the toughest spot in radio with Triple M Melbourne. The show forged new ground with news making radio alongside our strong sports, rock and comedy heritage and it’s been quite the ride. We are very grateful for the professionalism and loyalty Eddie and Darce have shown to Triple M and our listeners.”

Triple M head of content Mike Fitzpatrick said: “Eddie has brought a unique insight into our city every day and side by side with Luke Darcy, Mick Molloy and Wil Anderson, they created one of the great breakfast shows of all time. It’s been a pleasure and a highlight to work with this show and the incredibly talented people, both on and off air, who’ve made it.”

Luke Darcy will stay on as part of the AFL footy call team and Eddie McGuire will be back in 2021 with exciting new projects for Triple M.

Pictured top: Hot Breakfast team 2017: Eddie, Wil and Luke

Subscribe to the Mediaweek Morning Report with the form below.




Most Popular

To Top