Australia’s longest running reality program, The Block, returns for it’s 16th season at 7.00 pm Sunday, August 23, on Nine and 9Now.
Five couples will convert five run-down houses into five opulent homes, and in a new twist, The Block 2020 will take viewers on a five-decade time warp from the dawn of the 20th century to the post-war boom of the 1950s. Five period homes from the 1910s, 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s, all in decrepit condition, will be transformed by five couples on a huge block of land in the heart of Brighton.
Celebrating 20 years on Australian television, Scott Cam is back as host.
“Every year we aim to give viewers something new and I know that Australia will fall in love with our latest series as we step back in time to last century,” he said.
“Filmed during the onset of the pandemic, this season has more drama and emotion than we’ve ever seen. Plus, the quality of the finished rooms will blow you away. Strap yourself in for a Block like you’ve never seen before.”
COVID-19 caused the first ever shutdown of The Block. Audiences will have a front-row seat to witness the way the program was able to resume production as the world dealt with the effects of the pandemic.
Scott Cam will once again be joined by his co-host, Shelley Craft, site foremen Keith and Dan, and three renovation judges, Neale Whitaker, Shaynna Blaze and Darren Palmer.
The five couples chosen from a record-breaking number of entries for The Block 2020 are:
• Harry (57) and Tash (32) – The first ever father and daughter renovation duo, an IT manager and a social media project manager from Melbourne.
• Sarah (27) and George (33) – Teacher and electrician from Sydney.
• Daniel (35) and Jade (34) – Farmer and hairdresser from Wandearah in South Australia.
• Luke (35) and Jasmine (36) – Chippy and teacher from Perth.
• Jimmy (33) and Tam (31) – Plumber and bar manager from Brisbane.
Up for grabs for the winning team is $100,000, plus each couple pocket the difference between the sale price and the reserve on their property on the auction day.