OzTAM has released the final reports for calendar 2020, incorporating Consolidated 28-day viewing for all of December.
This is based on the 2020 Calendar year (January- December 2020) as opposed to the 40-week OzTAM survey, so this includes the summer sports schedule and New Years coverage which occurred outside the OzTAM survey periods.
Free to air
The AFL Grand Final was the most watched program in 2020 with 3.016m metro viewers tuning in for the decider between Richmond and Geelong. Coming in second was the NRL grand final between the Penrith Panthers and Melbourne Storm with 2.10m viewers.
The top two non-sport programs last year were both at Nine with The Block‘s winner announcement having 1.83m and Lego Master‘s winner announcement receiving 1.69m viewers.
The top program from a public broadcaster was the ABC’s coverage of the New Year’s Eve fireworks which had 1.61m.
Nine had the most shows in the top 20 programs of 2020 with 13.
FTA Top Programs
- Seven’s AFL: Grand Final: Richmond V Geelong Seven 3,016,000
- Seven’s AFL: Grand Final: Presentations Seven 2,294,000
- Seven’s AFL: Grand Final: On The Ground Seven 2,192,000
- NRL Grand Final Day -Match Nine 2,106,000
- State Of Origin Rugby League QLD V NSW 3rd -Match Nine 1,894,000
- 2020 Australian Open D8 -Night Nine 1,874,000
- The Block -Winner Announced Nine 1,838,000
- Lego Masters -Winner Announced Nine 1,692,000
- State Of Origin Rugby League NSW V QLD 2nd -Match Nine 1,658,000
- New Year’s Eve 2020: Midnight Fireworks ABC TV 1,614,000
- State Of Origin Rugby League QLD V NSW 1st -Match Nine 1,606,000
- MasterChef Australia – The Winner Announced 10 1,592,000
- Married At First Sight -Finale Nine 1,562,000
- 2020 Australian Open D14 -Men’s Final Nine 1,531,000
- Seven’s AFL: Grand Final: Pre Match Entertainment Seven 1,487,000
- Lego Masters -Launch Nine 1,479,000
- The Block -Grand Final Nine 1,470,000
- Married At First Sight -The Final Dinner Party Nine 1,447,000
- Lego Masters -Finale Nine 1,432,000
- Melbourne Cup Carnival: Melbourne Cup-Race 10 1,412,000
The ABC’s multichannels were dominate in 2020 led by the coverage of COVID-19 enforced lockdown in Melbourne, and Bluey (which appeared three separate times in the top 20).
The most watched multichannel program by a commercial broadcaster was the Women’s T20 World Cup final which had 545,000 viewers.
Other strong performers were the Australian Open on Gem and the US Election on ABC news.
Multichannel Top Programs
- Coronavirus Pandemic: Melb Stage 4 Lockdown ABC NEWS 580,000
- ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2020 Final Aus V Ind 9Gem 545,000
- Bluey ABC Kids/ABC TV Plus 530,000
- Bluey ABC Kids/ABC TV Plus 394,000
- ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2020 Final Aus V Ind -Presentation 9Gem 369,000
- 2020 Australian Open D9 -Day -Gem 9Gem 353,000
- Kangaroo Beach ABC Kids/ABC TV Plus 351,000
- USA Votes: Joe Biden Victory Speech ABC NEWS 326,000
- Planet America: USA Votes Special ABC NEWS 303,000
- Seven’s AFL: Tuesday Night Football 7mate 299,000
- Peppa Pig: Peppa’s Pumpkin Party ABC Kids/ABC TV Plus 297,000
- Fire Fight Australia Concert-Multi 7TWO 293,000
- Kangaroo Beach ABC Kids/ABC TV Plus 293,000
- The Snail And The Whale ABC Kids/ABC TV Plus 287,000
- Bluey ABC Kids/ABC TV Plus 284,000
- ABC News Special Coverage: Coronavirus Pandemic ABC NEWS 281,000
- USA Votes: Joe Biden Victory Speech Analysis ABC NEWS 272,000
- Seven’s Cricket: First Test – Australia V India D3 S2 Multi 7mate 266,000
- The Monster At The End Of This Story ABC Kids/ABC TV Plus 261,000
- Stick Man ABC Kids/ABC TV Plus 254,000
Sport absolutely dominated the subscription TV ratings by taking every spot in the top 20 for last year. The top 13 places went to India’s tour of Australia led by the two sides second T20 game which had 469,000.
Following the cricket, the NRL had the next most-watched event on STV with the preliminary final between the Penrith Panthers and South Sydney Rabbitohs getting 363,000 viewers.
STV Top Programs
- Live: T20: Aus V Ind Game 2 Fox Cricket 469,000
- Live: ODI Aus V Ind Game 2 Fox Cricket 456,000
- Live: T20: Aus V Ind Game 1 Fox Cricket 452,000
- Live: T20: Aus V Ind Game 2 Fox Cricket 448,000
- Live: T20 Innings Break Fox Cricket 416,000
- Live: ODI Aus V Ind Game 1 Fox Cricket 404,000
- Live: T20 Innings Break Fox Cricket 398,000
- Live: ODI Aus V Ind Game 2 Fox Cricket 393,000
- Live: Aus V Ind 2nd Test Day 1 Fox Cricket 392,000
- Live: ODI Aus V Ind Game 3 Fox Cricket 388,000
- Live: Aus V Ind 1st Test Day 3 Fox Cricket 383,000
- Live: T20: Aus V Ind Game 1 Fox Cricket 378,000
- Live: Aus V Ind 2nd Test Day 1 Fox Cricket 377,000
- Live: NRL: Broncos V Eels Fox League 371,000
- Live: Aus V Ind Test Tea Break Fox Cricket 367,000
- Live: NRL: Pf#2 Panthers V Rabbitohs Fox League 367,000
- Live: NRL: Roosters V Eels Fox League 363,000
- Live: Motorsport: Supercars Bathurst 1000 Fox Sports 506 356,000
- Live: NRL: Storm V Raiders Fox League 355,000
- Live: T20: Aus V Ind Game 3 Fox Cricket 354,000