The KFC Big Bash League has announced its intention to return to a full home and away schedule this summer, allowing fans to watch their favourite BBL clubs at their traditional homes should public health conditions allow.
The BBL will continue to monitor the public health situation throughout the summer and prioritise the health and safety of fans, players, staff and officials in all its decisions.
Additionally, the League has today lifted the KFC BBL contracting embargo. Clubs will now be able to complete their lists for the season, including securing the signatures of up to three international players in their 18-player squads.
After a record-breaking KFC BBL|10 season, the most-watched in League history with a total audience of 44.82 million across all 61 games, the League’s eleventh edition returns on Sunday, December 5 with reigning champions Sydney Sixers taking on the Melbourne Stars at the Sydney Cricket Ground.
BBL Series highlights
• 56 games in 46 days.
• A total of 14 venues visited across seven states and territories, including a return to GMHBA Stadium in Geelong and C.ex Coffs International Stadium in Coffs Harbour.
• For the first time, the KFC BBL will also play one match at the CitiPower Centre in Melbourne.
• The first Sydney Derby to be held on Boxing Day, with other Sydney and Melbourne derbies slated for January 3 (MCG), January 13 (Marvel Stadium) and January 15 (SCG).
• Hobart Hurricanes to host Melbourne Stars in their traditional Christmas Eve match at Blundstone Arena.
• Adelaide Strikers to welcome Sydney Thunder for their New Year’s Eve extravaganza as the highlight of seven Adelaide Oval home games.
• All Brisbane Heat Gabba home games to be played in school holidays.
• Perth Scorchers fans treated to four blockbuster home games from December 26 to January 6, before the Fifth Men’s Ashes Test between Australia and England.
• As in KFC BBL|10, the regular season will be completed with a triple header, with matches across three venues on January 19.
• The five-match Finals series is scheduled to begin on Friday, January 21, with The Eliminator, The Qualifier and The Knockout taking place across three consecutive nights. The Challenger follows on Wednesday, January 26, with The Final on Friday, January 28.
Where to watch and listen
• In all, 45 KFC BBL|11 matches will be broadcast on Seven.
• All 61 matches to be broadcast on Foxtel and Kayo.
• SEN will also broadcast KFC BBL|11 matches nationwide.
Alistair Dobson, Cricket Australia’s General Manager of Big Bash Leagues, said:
“The KFC BBL is ready to launch into our second decade with a schedule that takes the full allocation of home matches back to fans across the country.
“This season’s schedule features all the key components that makes the League Australia’s most exciting sports entertainment product, with blockbuster matches, big rivalries and passionate fans nationwide.
“We’re also delighted that this season will be completed within the school holidays, with the Final set down for January 28.
“Like all leagues globally, we remain conscious of the need to be agile in response to the challenges of the pandemic. We are confident that the experience obtained through our successful completion of the KFC BBL|10 campaign will hold us in good stead as we deliver the best possible competition for our players and fans.”
Lewis Martin, Managing Director Seven Melbourne and Head of Network Sport, said:
“The BBL will be back with a bang on Seven this summer.
“Fans can look forward to plenty of live and free mega days where Big Bash prime-time clashes follow play in the Ashes Test series, along with a host of marquee Sunday fixtures, while the earlier start and finish to the season means the BBL Final will be played in the school holidays.
“It’s sure to be an unforgettable season.”
Matt Weiss, Fox Cricket General Manager, said:
“CA have done a terrific job with this schedule. With the Ashes coming up this summer BBL11 will be bigger than ever.
“Fox Cricket is the only place fans can enjoy all 61 matches commentated by the best in the business – Gilly, Warnie, Isa, Brett Lee, Mark Waugh and Mike Hussey to name a few.
“This fixture also delivers Fox Cricket exclusive Super Saturdays for the Home and Away season which is great result for our Foxtel and Kayo customers.”