Editor-in-chief of The Australian, Christopher Dore, has announced that he will be stepping back from his role with the publication after four years in the job.
He will also be leaving News Corp altogether after 31 years with the company.
The announcement was made in a note sent to staff on Wednesday, which explained that the decision to leave came due to “personal health issues.”
“Last month, I marked my four-year anniversary in the job. Any editor will admit the past few years have felt like dog years and as you know, I have no off switch,” Dore wrote.
“I am exhausted, and have recognised I can’t keep going on like this.
“I have long-standing personal health issues I need to resolve, and I am leaving News to concentrate on restoring my health.
“I am beyond proud that this year The Australian recorded its most profitable result in our near 60-year history … and has transformed into a genuine digital powerhouse, built on the biggest subscriber base of loyal, passionate readers and a group of innovative and adventurous journalists, photographers, designers and editors,” he said.
Under Dore, subscription numbers to both print and digital subscriptions of The Australian have doubled. In mid-2018 the masthead had just shy of 136,000 subscribers, a number which has ballooned to 277,000 at the end of June this year.
The note to staff reminisced on the fact that Dore began his career at News Corp 31 years ago as a newsroom “copy kid.” Since then, Dore has edited Sydney’s The Daily Telegraph, Queensland’s The Courier-Mail, and Perth’s The Sunday Times. Dore is also chairman of News Corp’s Editorial Board.
Executive chairman of News Corp Australasia, Michael Miller wished Dore the best, and announced the interim custodian of The Australian.
“I have asked Michelle Gunn to continue to edit The Australian. Michelle, who also began her career as a cadet on The Australian, has been editor since May 2020 and previously was editor of The Weekend Australian for eight years,” Miller said.