On the eve of the 2018 leg of the Divide tour’s kick-off at Perth’s Optus Stadium, Frontier Touring has revealed Ed Sheeran’s Australia/New Zealand tour has surpassed a mammoth 1,000,000 ticket sales.
This achievement sees Ed Sheeran well and truly breaking Dire Straits’ record for the most tickets sold (950,000 tickets) on one tour of Australia and New Zealand, a record no other artist has broken in the 32 years since the band’s 1986 tour.
Frontier Touring boss Michael Gudinski unveiled a commemorative ice sculpture for Sheeran at the stadium (pictured above).
In addition to cracking one million ticket sales, Ed’s seven-city, eighteen-show stadium tour has also broken the following records:
• Highest ticket sales for a single concert tour in Australia
• Highest ticket sales for a single concert tour in New Zealand
• Biggest stadium tour of Australia and New Zealand
• Venue record for largest number of shows on one tour – Optus Stadium (Perth), Etihad Stadium (Melbourne), Suncorp Stadium (Brisbane), Forsyth Barr Stadium (Dunedin)
• Venue record for highest cumulative attendance on one tour – Optus Stadium, ANZ Stadium (Sydney), Etihad Stadium, Mt Smart Stadium (Auckland), Suncorp Stadium, Forsyth Barr Stadium. Notably, Dunedin cumulative ticket sales are close to equalling the city’s population.
• Venue record for highest attendance for a single show – Optus Stadium, Suncorp Stadium, Mt Smart Stadium, Forsyth Barr Stadium
Source: Frontier Touring