Business of Media
Lachlan Murdoch asked to appear at parliamentary inquiry into Youtube’s suspension of Sky News Australia
Lachlan Murdoch has been invited to appear before a re-convened Senate inquiry into YouTube’s temporary ban on Sky News Australia for uploading videos in breach of the platform’s Covid misinformation policy, reports Guardian Australia’s Amanda Meade.
If the co-chairman of News Corp accepts he will appear alongside his Sky News Australia presenters Alan Jones, Rita Panahi and Rowan Dean who have already agreed to give evidence before the media diversity committee on Monday.
“The committee has called Mr Murdoch to front the inquiry to explain his role in the direction of Sky News and News Corp’s other media outlets,” Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young told Guardian Australia.
“Mr Murdoch has the opportunity on Monday to put his case to the Senate inquiry. I look forward to asking the co-chairman about the standards of journalism and accurate reporting at Sky News and across Australia’s most dominant media company.”
Reddit bans Covid misinformation forum after ‘go dark’ protest
Reddit has banned a discussion forum that spreads misinformation about coronavirus and vaccines after a user rebellion over the site’s failure to tackle Covid sceptics, reports The Guardian’s Dan Milmo.
The online discussion site acted after 135 Reddit communities, or subreddits, announced they had “gone dark”, a move that blocks non-members from reading or joining the page, in protest at the site’s refusal to limit discussions that propagate misleading theories about the pandemic.
Reddit initially refused to ban subreddits identified as spreading misinformation. But it bowed to pressure on Wednesday, announcing that it had kicked out r/NoNewNormal – which has 124,000 subscribers and contains posts warning against taking Covid vaccines – for breaking rules related to interfering with or harassing other subreddits.
Erin Molan tells Daily Mail defamation trial clips were mocking ‘bad’ accents, not racist
Nine broadcaster Erin Molan has told the federal court she does not think she participated in the mockery of Polynesian names when she said “hooka looka mooka hooka fooka” on 2GB last year, reports Guardian Australia’s Amanda Meade.
The 39-year-old is suing Daily Mail Australia for defamation over an article and two tweets which she says portray her as racist.
The barrister for the Daily Mail, Bruce McClintock SC, wrapped up his cross-examination of Molan on Wednesday morning, on the Nine NRL commentator’s third day in the virtual witness box.
“Ms Molan you really have no insight into why what you did was wrong?” McClintock asked.
Molan: “Sir, the way the Daily Mail reported what I did was wrong. What I did? No, I do not believe was wrong.”
UK regulator clears Piers Morgan over Meghan Markle comments
Controversial British presenter Piers Morgan has been cleared of breaching the broadcasting code over his comments around the Duchess of Sussex, reports TV Tonight.
Following Prince Harry & Meghan Markle’s Oprah interview, Morgan made dismissive comments about Meghan Markle’s claims to have had issues with her mental health. He stormed off the set of Good Morning Britain and was fired for refusing to apologise, sparking international headlines.
In March, more than 57,000 complaints were received by UK regulator OfCom -the most complained about moment in the watchdog’s history.
Ticker News latest development: New Ticker Originals website
The ever-expanding streaming news network Ticker News has greeted spring with the launch of the Ticker Original website. The online destination showcases Ticker Original segments that discuss business topics of interest to young affluent professionals.
More than 20 new original shows are uploaded each week, from finance to environment, crypto and gaming, for Ticker’s audience to learn about specific areas of interest.
Ahron Young, CEO and Founder of Ticker, said: “This provides a more tailored experience for the audience to delve deeper into niche topics. That is why we wanted to create a more streamlined focus for our Ticker Original segments. With the numerous resident experts that Ticker has to offer, these shows are packed with authentic and up-to-date information”.
Ticker COO Jed Bertalli added: “The new website highlights our capability for content creation as we create bespoke shows every week. This new venture accelerates what we are doing here at Ticker and provides our audience with another tool to stay informed in the digital age”.
Segments run for an average of 15 minutes and topics covered include tech business, crypto, trade, health and fitness industries.
Ticker News recently appointed a London-based correspondent and will soon be running a studio out of the UK and later the US in 2022 giving it major market global coverage.
Luna Park documentary: Communications Minister Paul Fletcher pans ABC complaint procedure
Communications Minister Paul Fletcher has called on the ABC board and management to examine its audience complaints handling process after several formal complaints about its Luna Park ghost train fire documentary were dismissed despite an external review heavily criticising the program, reports News Corp’s Troy Bramston.
Fletcher said the independent editorial review by investigative journalist Chris Masters and Sydney University professor Rod Tiffen found the documentary had substantial flaws which suggested the complaints process was not as impartial or thorough as it should be.
“While the ABC has operational and editorial independence, in my view this matter suggests board and management should consider whether the existing complaints process is functioning as it should,” the minister told The Australian.
SBS board member Warren Mundine apologises for expletive tweet
SBS board member Warren Mundine says he regrets calling a journalist a “c—” and will take a break from social media, as the multicultural broadcaster condemned him for contravening its values and code of conduct, report SMH’s Lisa Visentin and Zoe Samios.
Mundine, a former federal Liberal Party candidate and former Labor national president, tweeted the expletive at freelance journalist Ben Eltham on Tuesday night after he shared the personal mobile number of federal MP Craig Kelly to his followers.
Mundine conceded he “probably should have used a better word” in responding to Eltham, but said his position that Eltham’s conduct was “dangerous” remained unchanged.
Jackie ‘O’ Henderson breaks down in tears over prank on live radio
KIIS radio co-host Jackie ‘O’ Henderson broke down in tears live on-air after a cruel prank, reports News Corp’s Mibengé Nsenduluka.
Earlier this week, Henderson wrongly accused neighbours at her $11 million Woollahra home of dumping their rubbish into her bin and called them “scumbags” and “a**holes” to thousands of listeners on the Kyle and Jackie O show.
Moments later a caller named “Ash” rang in claiming to be one of Henderson’s neighbours and confronted the radio star about her complaint earlier in the week.
A mortified Henderson replied, “No, I love all my neighbours… I didn’t realise that the street was pissed at me. I didn’t spray you guys I promise.”
Scott Cam ‘scrambling to save this series’ of The Block
The Block host Scott Cam has spoken out about the cheating scandal engulfing the show, complaining it’s left him “scrambling to save this series” and blasting the contestants who’ve confessed to cheating as “un-Australian”, reports News Corp’s Nick Bond.
Speaking to Fitzy and Wippa on Nova, Cam didn’t hold back when asked about the controversy, which has seen several contestants admit to viewing and circulating a photo of the show’s top-secret production schedule in what’s been described as the biggest cheating scandal in the show’s history.
“I love The Block and I don’t love anyone messing with it, and that’s messing with it. This is a competition to win $100,000 plus more – up to $900,000 is the record. People have left their homes, their kids, in an attempt to make some life-changing money,” he said.
‘I can’t be his friend’, Bachelor reject Jay says
Ousted Bachelor contestant Jesinta ‘Jay’ Lal says she can’t remain friends with Bachelor Jimmy Nicholson, while slamming suggestions she went on the reality show seeking fame, reports News Corp’s Jonathon Moran.
The departure of the 32-year-old nutritionist leaves Melbourne occupational therapist Brooke Cleal and Sydney marketing manager Holly Kingston still in the running ahead of Thursday’s season finale episode.
“It is hard because I could see him being a friend but then I also think it wouldn’t be that fair on his current partner,” Lal told Confidential. “It just feels a bit weird.”
How Wentworth was brought back from the brink
“It was absolutely horrendous,” Katrina Milosevic (Boomer) recalls of the Wentworth cast learning that the hit Foxtel drama was originally ending in 2018, reports TV Tonight.
It had already been a demanding Season 7 with scenes involving a prison Siege and the death of Lizzie Birdsworth (Celia Ireland).
“I was a bit of an emotional, mental and physical wreck, but we were called up to a meeting with (Foxtel execs) Brian Walsh and Penny Win and our producers at Fremantle. We were told we were going out on a high and this was our last season. I was a mess,” she recalls.
Eddie McGuire confirms he’s been ‘denied’ entry to WA by state authorities
Eddie McGuire has confirmed the Western Australian government hasn’t allowed him entry into the state ahead of the Perth-based AFL Grand Final, reports Fox Sports’ Ben Waterworth.
McGuire addressed then confirmed reports on Wednesday morning, saying he was “disappointed” yet understanding of the WA authorities’ decision.
“Yes, I’ve been denied,” McGuire told Triple M Perth’s Basil, Xav and Jenna.
“I’m disappointed as we had planned to do a lot of great things around the Grand Final.
“I’m very conscious of the fact that so many people can’t get into Western Australian who are West Australians or who have stories that are far more important than getting to a Grand Final.”
Seven welcomes the decision to play the AFL Grand Final in Perth
The Seven Network applauds the announcement that the 2021 AFL Grand Final will be played in Perth, a decision that will provide the stage for the year’s biggest match.
Seven also acknowledges the West Australian Government’s support in stepping up to host the Grand Final amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
Seven West Media managing director and chief executive officer, James Warburton, said: “The AFL Grand Final in Perth will give millions of fans across the country the best experience possible. The culmination of the incredible season will have the energy of a live crowd and be broadcast during prime time across most of Australia.
“Seven’s live and free coverage of the AFL has gone from strength-to-strength and the highly anticipated Grand Final is set to top another extraordinary season of Australia’s number one winter sport.”
Managing director Seven Melbourne and head of network sport, Lewis Martin, said: “We welcome the AFL’s decision to play this year’s Grand Final in Perth. The live crowd and the unquestioned passion of WA fans will make it the landmark occasion that fans know and love on the last Saturday in September.
“We’d also like to acknowledge the remarkable resilience shown by the AFL and its clubs in delivering a truly unforgettable season so far amid the unrelenting challenges thrown up by the pandemic.”
Seven’s Grand Final preparations have been ongoing as it became apparent the match would be played outside Victoria for the second consecutive year.
Going into the finals, the Melbourne Demons are the Minor Premiers for the first time since 1964, sitting at the top of the ladder – but just behind them are Port Adelaide Power. Geelong, Brisbane, Bulldogs, Sydney, and GWS follow, with the Essendon Bombers rounding out the top eight.
Seven will announce further details of its Grand Final coverage in coming weeks.